We know you know your ABC’s…but what about the ABC’s of Glutes?
The gluteal muscles are the very large and supportive muscles on the back side of your hips. They include the gluteus maximus, minimus, and medius. These three muscles originate from the ilium and sacrum and insert on the femur. The functions of the muscles include extension, abduction, external rotation and internal rotation of the hip joint. The piriformis and tensor fasciae latae are two other muscles that also help in the abduction and stabilization of the hips. Having strong gluteal muscles is important because they stabilize the hips and the spine. Having strong glutes is also an important factor in preventing lower back pain. Here are two exercises that I would recommend for strengthening the glutes:
You can do abductors either seated (on a machine) or standing, with resistance bands or tubing (also, feel free to watch this YouTube video that perfectly demonstrates abductions using resistance bands).
1. Pick a weight that is appropriate for you. Start with your feet and knees together.
2. Begin to move your feet and knees laterally apart until you feel tension in your hips.
3. Slowly and with control, move your feet and knees back together but don’t let them touch.
4. Repeat 12 times for four sets or until fatigue
B: Bulgarian Split Squat
1. Stand facing away from an 18″ high bench with one foot on the bench and one foot on the ground
2. You can position yourself near a wall or a railing if you need extra balance support
3. Bend your front knee to lower your body while maintaining a tall, upright posture. Keep the eyes looking forward. Think shoulders back as you lower your hips.
4. Straighten the front knee to come back to the starting position.
5. Repeat 8 times per leg for four sets
Utilize these exercises in the gym in order to get your glutes ready for summer and stay tuned for letters C & D of my glute strengthening series!
Camilla (Mia) Johnson, Personal Trainer
Mia’s training philosophy is to have fun with exercise, make it part of your lifestyle, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something different. Never do anything halfhearted… always use your full heart!