Legacy Planning for New Parents
Join us to learn about Estate Planning when you are expecting a child.
Estate planning and creating a will is always important but increasingly more when a child is present. In this class Sarah Morris, of Sarah Morris Law will cover what happens if you do not have a plan, explanation of estate taxes, the difference between a will based estate plan versus a trust based estate plan, how and why to choose an attorney to prepare your plan, and more!
In this class we will cover:
- Nominating a guardian for your children and providing for other protections;
- Distributing your assets to those you choose rather than having the state do it for you;
- Understanding your different options between a will and/or a trust;
- The importance of a comprehensive legacy plan, including several documents and other considerations;
- Choosing those you trust to make decisions on your behalf, while you’re living but if you become incapacitated;
- A (very) brief overview the estate tax and how it might or might not affect you;
- How often to revisit and update an existing estate plan and what this entails; and
- How and why to choose an attorney to prepare and update your plan.
Couples are strongly encouraged to attend together. A well informed partner is invaluable support!
DATES & TIMES:
Thursday, August 12
Monday, November 8
All classes will take place between 6:00–7:30 pm (includes time for Q&A)
Zoom. Link will be sent after you register.
*you only need to register one person, but we hope both partners will attend!