The Early Childhood Center at the JCC located in Denver serves 160 children from the ages of 6 weeks to 5 years of age.
We have recently been selected to be one of six laboratory communities for JCC Association of North America; a function of which will be to serve as a laboratory for best practices in constructivist early childhood education and family engagement in the JCC movement.
Our school is making strides towards truly living and breathing a constructivist, Reggio-Emilia inspired philosophy and embracing a spirit of innovation and experimentation as we become a lab community.
We currently have an opening for a full-time Curriculum Coordinator. The individual we are searching for respects, cherishes, educates and protects children. The Curriculum Coordinator will serve much as a Pedagogista does in a Reggio School.
The Primary Responsibilities of the Curriculum Coordinator are:
- To cultivate an atmosphere of reciprocal respect and support for educators at the JCC ECC
- Build positive relationships with educators, other school faculty and families
- Mentor, support and collaborate with educational staff to continually deepen their thinking about teaching and learning and their ability to construct meaningful and responsive learning experiences with the children
- Cultivate an environment that is built upon a strong image of children, families and educators with a view towards all individuals as B’Tzelem Elohim – as having their own unique spark and possessing great capability and potential
As a school within a Jewish Community Center, two core values we embrace are Lifelong Learning and Journey (Masa). As such, we are looking for someone who can help us on our collective journey of continually growing our understanding and practice of constructivist educational philosophy, and support all of our educators on their individual journeys.
The Curriculum Coordinator is Responsible for the Following Education Responsibilities:
Work with Educators on Constructivist Practice
- Work closely with educators regarding a wide range of educational issues a where the ultimate goal is to promote an educator’s autonomy and collaborate with rather than solve the problem for the educator
- Emphasize and fully support “constructivist” versus “didactic” instruction by modeling, working in partnership with teachers and/or through ongoing coaching conversations
- Work with the teachers through the use of reflective supervision
- Ensure that differentiation among children’s learning styles and emotional needs are met by classroom teachers
- Work with JCC Director of Jewish Life and Learning to ensure that Jewish traditions, values and concepts are seamlessly woven into every day learning experiences
- Work with teachers to fully use their environments as an inspiration for inquiry
- Collaborate with teachers in creating a materials library emphasizing open-ended and natural materials
Work with Educators on Observation and Documentation
- Help make children’s learning visible Support teachers in the creation of journey binders
- Monitor and ensure that education plans and other required documentation for children and classrooms are complete (panel documentation, portfolios, conference forms, etc.)
Work with Educators to Promote Partnership with Families
- Provide professional development opportunities that focus on the processes and strategies of communication
- Support educators and engage in active exchanges with families
- Offer families opportunities to understand our educational philosophy through workshops and classes
Work Together to Promote Professional Development
- The Curriculum Coordinator ensures that opportunities for professional development are included in the educator’s work schedule in ways respectful of individual needs.
- Provide ongoing support to teachers to improve their capacities for observing and listening to children, documenting projects and conducting their own research
- Creating and maintaining a library of resources for teachers (books, articles, videos, etc.)
Work in Collaboration with Administrative Team
- Participate in the development of program policies and monitoring of program quality when appropriate
- Be familiar and ensure compliance with all Colorado State childcare licensing regulations
- Attend all required meetings and trainings for the ECC, JCC and community initiatives when appropriate
- Work with the administrative team to establish, implement and hold teachers accountable for classroom policies
- Work with the administrative team to regularly evaluate and document teachers’ performance
- Partner with the administrative team to ensure that the core values of the school are being reflected in every day relationships and practice
Work in Collaboration with Other JCC Departments
As a school located within a larger community center, our work does not end at our doors…
- Serve as a member of the Family, Youth and Camp Team at the JCC
- Attend cross-department events, trainings and functions
- Work closely with the Family Programs department to development enrichment classes and programs that reflect an interdepartmental partnership
The functions of the Curriculum Coordinator in a Reggio Emilia inspired school are multiple. The Curriculum Coordinator needs to be flexible, and willing to help out wherever needed that might include covering classrooms, covering front desk, going out to purchase supplies, making trips to the library or sitting with a child who is ill. The Curriculum Coordinator needs to be a team player willing to do what is needed for our school to be successful.
- Must have a BA Degree in early childhood education or a closely related field and at least 7 years of working with children in the age group of 6 weeks – 5 years of age. Master’s degree preferred.
- Must have at least 5 years of in-depth knowledge and work experience with the Reggio Emilia approach and/or educational coaching.
- The successful candidate will possess a working knowledge of Judaism, Jewish traditions and programs and be able to integrate into all Early Childhood Programs programming.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.